Thursday, April 7, 2011

Recipe ~ Ice Cream Cake


This is always a smash hit with my guests, and if you’re like me and like to de-frazzle your entertaining, you can make this frozen dessert days or weeks ahead of time.  It feeds a crowd, and is fresher and better tasting than its store bought version, not to mention less expensive.  I first had home-made, ice cream cake at my sister-in-law’s.  I asked her for the recipe, and she said, “There’s no recipe, I just make it.”  So, I made a few different versions, but this is my favorite.  Your family & friends will love it too!

You will need:
2/3 package Oreo cookies (I use the double stuffed, Wal-Mart brand)
1   box Cookies & Cream ice cream (I also use the cheapest brand)
1   box Chocolate ice cream (Ditto)
2   bottles Magic Shell (or the kind that hardens = very important) Chocolate Topping
1 - 8oz container whipped topping (I use the Wal-Mart brand – Do we see a theme
    developing here?)

Directions
Remove ice cream from the freezer and let it set at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes. 

Chop or crush (I use a food chopper) 1/3 bag of the cookies, filling included, and spread them in a glass or ceramic 9x13 inch pan.

Carefully & evenly scoop the Cookies & Cream ice cream over the crushed cookies.  Let it set at room temperature for an additional 10 minutes to allow each scoop to soften more.  I then use two forks to pull apart each scoop of ice cream until it is evenly spread over the crushed cookies.  Don’t worry if it’s not exactly level.

Drizzle one whole bottle of chocolate topping evenly over the layer of Cookies & Cream ice cream.  Put the pan in the freezer for a couple of minutes to allow the chocolate topping time to harden.

Evenly scoop the Chocolate ice cream over the Chocolate Topping layer.  Again, allow the scoops time to soften a little more and then pull them apart with your forks.

Drizzle the second bottle of chocolate topping evenly over the layer of Chocolate ice cream.  Put the pan in the freezer for a couple of minutes to allow the chocolate topping time to harden.

Spread the whipped topping over the chocolate topping.  Place 1/3 package broken / cut cookies on the whipped topping.  I brake / cut the cookies on a bread board and then place the pieces on the cake.  This keeps all the tiny crumbs from falling on the whipped topping, and keeps it looking “clean” & pretty.  Cover and store in the freezer.


Let the ice cream cake set on the counter at room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving.  Otherwise, you will have a battle trying to cut the ice cream!  Enjoy the cake and the compliments. 

2 comments: